Harry Kapur, head of writing at Velocity Partners, recognises the challenges of writing on behalf of clients. How do you write with the same conviction, context and insight as the clients you represent?
Skin in the game in content marketing
I’d like to talk about some principles and tactics that I use to help my team of B2B writers overcome this problem.
– Researching for opinions, not just facts.
– Honing our own instincts to think like the CEOs and CMOs and CTOs we’re targeting.
– Talking to customers – the obvious but completely underrated fast track to great work.
– Intellectual honesty – bringing rigor to places that aren’t used to seeing it (marketing) and using honesty to hone your own instincts about what good looks like.
– Identifying the timeless templates – the fundamental story structure and behavioural heuristics that are always at play no matter where you’re marketing.